Area rugs can be a beautiful addition to any room in your Baltimore rental home. They are one of the best no-damage techniques to personalize your space! Area rugs can also take some work. If you want them to last a lengthy period of time, you need to take care of them properly. If you’re not sure you are exactly caring for your area rug, this article is for you! Here are five tips that will help keep your area rugs looking brand new.
- Vacuum Often – and Correctly: You need to vacuum your area rugs at least once a week to keep them looking their best. Make sure you’re using the correct attachments and settings on your vacuum cleaner, so you don’t damage the rug’s fibers. A vacuum with a rotating brush is fine for medium or low-pile textiles. However, do not use the rotating vacuum brush on a plush or high-pile rug, as this will create pilling and fuzzing. For rugs with fringe on the edges, brush these areas gently by hand.
- Spot Clean Immediately: To keep your area rug in good condition, it’s important to immediately clean up any spills or messes. This will help prevent stains from setting in. If something does get spilled, start by blotting up as much liquid as possible with a paper towel or cloth before using cleaning products. Then, use a small amount of cleaner and a soft rag and work the product into the stain. Be careful not to soak the rug. Finally, be sure to dry completely. If necessary, elevate the cleaned section of the rug to ensure that both sides are thoroughly dry.
- Rotate Your Rug: For rugs in high-traffic areas, you’ll need to take steps to keep them from wearing faster on one side than on another. To prevent “walkways” or strips of your rug from getting too worn down, rotate the rug every few months. This will ensure that all areas get equal use and will help extend the life of your area rug.
- Keep Away from Direct Sunlight: Ultraviolet rays from the sun can fade some fabrics over time. This is especially true in places where the sun shines a lot! Avoid placing your area rug in direct sunlight or near a strong light source to protect it from fading. If that isn’t possible, consider using blinds or curtains to keep the light off your rug during the sunniest times of the day.
- Have It Professionally Cleaned: Depending on your rug type, you should get a professional cleaning about once a year – or more if your rug gets heavy use or if you have pets. Professional cleaners have the right tools and know-how to clean your area rug without damaging it. Plus, they can usually spot problems with your rug before they become serious. A professional cleaning may be the best way to restore a dingy area rug and bring back the softness and vivid colors it had when it was new.
Caring for an area rug can be work, as with any household task. But if you want your rugs to last longer and look beautiful, it is worth the effort!
Are you looking for a new rental house to put your gorgeous area rugs in? The Baltimore property managers at Real Property Management Metro would be happy to help you find the perfect home. Call the office or browse our listings online.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.