Skip to Content

MGMT Fee $110 per Month - Leasing Fee $495.00

MGMT Fee $110 per Month - Leasing Fee $495.00

Fireplace Safety Tips for Federal Hills Tenants

Warm and Cozy Fireplace in the Center of a Modern Living RoomA fireplace can be a delightful attribute in a single-family rental home in Federal Hills. Nevertheless, fireplaces also present several unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To appreciate your fireplace and stay safe all together, it is critical to adopt some primary fireplace safety rules.

The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is due to creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. In the end, wood-burning fires create a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Other dilemmas like dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, and obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either condition is really unsafe for you and the home’s several inhabitants, if any.

To avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you must follow. First, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can cause showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, scorching enough to split bricks, melt metal, and catch your roof, siding, and roof on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.

Afterward, be certain to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is fundamental to have an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Avoid going too near to the fireplace while it is lit and ensure to supervise any pets thoroughly to deter flares and mishaps.

Eventually, you must check with your property manager or landlord to observe if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. An excellent property manager will have a fireplace checked repeatedly to assure that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To stay safe, it is crucial to recognize that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to run your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, observing fitting fireplace safety is a critical portion of keeping you and your properties out of detriment’s way.

Weary of implementing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management Metro a call? It doesn’t matter if you possess one rental home or quite a few, our purpose is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Approved by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our group of Federal Hills property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 410-290-3285 today.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.